Pinewood Freak

Pinewood Freak header image 2

Pro-Wheel Shaver

January 4th, 2006 · 7 Comments

The wheels you get with your car kit are not completely round. It’s hard to tell with the naked eye, but there are high and low spots along the tread on most wheels. They roll just fine, but those high and low spots keep the car from rolling smoothly. It bumps up and down instead. And movement is the enemy of speed.

There’s two ways you can get round wheels. One is to turn them on a lathe. A lathe is a power tool that spins the wheel around and slowly shapes it until all the sides are the same. Not only are lathes expensive and hard to use, it’s against the rules in lots of races to modify your wheels that way.

Most rules do allow you to manually remove imperfections such as mold marks by lightly sanding or scraping the wheel. And there’s a tool that you can use to scrape off the high points on the wheel, including the mold marks.

The Pro Wheel Shaver has a hub to turn your wheel on and a blade you lock against the wheel. Using the included instructions, you first find the low spot on the wheel and lock the blade against the wheel at that point. Then you turn the wheel, allowing the blade to scrape off the high spots.

Pro Wheel Shaver

Alll the wheels on my cars and my kids cars are shaved with the Pro Wheel Shaver. You can get them at Hodges Hobby House or Maximum Velocity.

Comments

7 comments so far ↓

• Michael Blue // Jan 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

There’s now an updated version that also allows you to “true” the inside edge of your “tread” area as well. Excellent investment.

• Hypertech Pine // Sep 23, 2010 at 11:40 am

These thing are extremely difficult to use. Ive personally used two versions of this and found both to be somewhat frustrating. The blades are dull to start and there is some play causing havoc during cutting. If you are very very careful and cut extremely slight this could work and be better then stock wheels but will not be near as good machine lathed wheels for true roundness. Dont even bother trying to sand your wheels on a drill, you will only be making things worse then stock.

• D. Shawn Racing // Feb 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

People. Don’t waste your money on these tools, buy your wheels online. Trust me, I fell for this years ago.. I won’t promote any website, because I don’t get a cut! but my experience is a quality machined wheel is worth the investment than trying to fix the wheels that come in the kit. Hypertech is spot on. Stock wheels out of the box are horrible. If you want a fast car, find a good supplier online for machined wheels. Hint, They are not all the same quality, but most are better than stock.

• Down Hill Rocket // Jun 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

We have used the Pro Wheel Shaver XT-2 to win 2 district championships. Other top cars used purchased wheels but to us, that defeats the purpose of scouting.

• Mr. E // Jun 14, 2011 at 7:09 pm

This might be the worst tool I have EVER used for pinewood derby. I got so sick of the Derby Worx tools I just quit using them and sold them for what I could on ebay. I can’t believe these online vendors could sell this stuff and sleep at night.

• Down Hill Rocket // Jun 15, 2011 at 8:45 am

WHY? Did you contact Derby Worx or the vendor for help? Both Derby Worx and Max-V have been very helpful to be and fully supported their products. Great people to work with.

• Derby Dad // Feb 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

We just bought one the wheel shavers (the XT) and the first thing we noticed when we mounted the wheels we’d planned on using (mold matched #3) was how ridiculously out of round they were. With the blade close to the wheels the treads were all over the place and certainly nothing we could have fixed by sanding. I did make the mistake of starting on a couple of good wheels and promptly destroying them - this tool needs practice and a lot of it as it likes to carve chunks out if you go too fast. The best technique (found online) is to hold the wheel and turn the tool back and forth in small arcs as you concentrate on the high spots. The instructions say counter clockwise - it will dig in if you do and gouge your wheels. That said, without a very gentle hand, it will anyway. Go slooooow and it’ll give you wheels that are extremely round and concentric to the bore. Be prepared to sharpen the blade too. You WILL trash a few wheels before you start to feel comfortable. I agree with Down Hill Rocket - buying online wheels is not in the spirit of the event. All of our cars use BSA parts we modify ourselves, and we won the Pack Championship last year.